Monday 19 January 2015

Haircare review - TIGI Bed Head Colour Combat Dumb Blonde shampoo and conditioner

I've always had decent hair. A little fine, sometimes flat, but always in good condition as I didn't heavily use heated appliances (instead leaving my waves to dry naturally) and only ever dying it dark shades which didn't contain bleach or the worst of the nasties.

I decided a few months ago that it would be a great idea to dye the ends of my hair blonde, a la the ombre trend that's been doing the rounds of late. BIG mistake. Everything that was blonde is now dry and split ends and frizzy and nasty. I've had to dye it back to dark brown as the blonde just highlighted how awful it was. And the vicious circle just continues as now that it's nasty and frizzy, it needs MORE straightening/curling to look decent. So I'm damaging it further.

So I decided to forego my usual Herbal Essences/L'Oreal Elvive/Tressemmee grade hair products and try something a bit more indulgent to try to get my hair back into shape ahead of my wedding in November.

I hotfooted it down to TK Maxx to see if I could pick up a bargain on their salon brands, and managed to get a double pack of this TIGI shampoo and conditioner, in the jumbo 750ml sizes, for £12.

Using a product meant for blonde hair, this should be ultra moisturising. Lathering up the shampoo, letting the scent wash over me, it smells AMAZING and I was SO excited to be using something that felt more indulgent and special than my usual products - and not to mention to have gotten such a bargain. The shampoo is a pearly pink creme and  a little goes a long way. It lathers up nicely, smells amazing, and rinses out easily.


Then comes the conditioner. A thicker, custardy yellow creme, it's got the same lovely scent as the shampoo, and it applies nicely, feels like it rinses out well and my wide toothed comb glides through my damp hair after use.



But then when I'm drying my hair, it all goes wrong. I can feel a tacky film on my hair, and with my hair in its current damaged state, it makes it look even more coarse and somehow makes the split ends even more pronounced. I've tried mixing it with another conditioner to dilute the effect so it wasn't a total waste of a purchase, but alas, it didn't really work.

I would post a photo of what my hair looked like after using this, but whenever I use it I end up either washing my hair again to get rid of the residue, or tying it up so no one can see it. It's that bad.

This one really pains me. I SO wanted to love this shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo is good, but not amazing. And the conditioner has been passed over to Will to try it out on his beard - but if he doesn't like it, it'll be heading for the bin.

Have you tried this conditioner? Did you find the same? And what should I be trying next?

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment