Tuesday 13 January 2015

Nailcare review - Sally Hansen Nail Rehab

I have absolutely terrible nails. I bit them for years, and even now I can't help but pick at them and play with them. And the second my nail varnish starts to chip and peel? I take great pleasure in peeling the rest of it off. And damaging my nails to boot.

So when I received a bottle of Sally Hansen's Nail Rehab in my advent calendar, I was really keen to give it a whirl.



Instructions say to shake gently, then apply 1-2 coats to bare nails either alone or as a base coat. Simple.

The product applies like a dream - the brush is just the right size - easy to apply in a couple of strokes, but not so big that you use too much product, and the product is just the right consistency. Thick enough to feel like it will have some benefit, but thin enough to layer up with coloured polish and a top coat without going all thick and peeling. And it's lovely and smooth - filling in ridges, with no strands or bits (unlike another base coat I've been testing of late).

The big question is really the long term benefits. I've been using this for about 4 weeks now, and have probably applied it 6-8 times in that period - I change my nail polish A LOT. There has been a slight improvement to the strength of my nails, but they have been weak, brittle and peeling since before I started using it, so it's really not the fairest trial. But on the other hand, to have any positive effect on nails which were in such bad condition to start with, this really must be doing something right.


Worn alone this gives a lovely natural glossy pink sheen - perfect for the base of a French manicure, or just a fuss-free, natural but polished look.




Or it also helps my favourite dark polishes apply more evenly and they probably stay chip-free a day or two longer using this as a base coat, combined with a decent top coat.

All in all, a winner for me.

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment