Tuesday 17 February 2015

Haircare empties


I mentioned before that I basically ruined the lower half of my hair by bleaching it a few months back. Until then, my haircare was a pretty basic routine of drugstore brand shampoos and conditioners and pretty much anything would do as long as the conditioner wasn't too heavy to make my fine hair go flat.

But since bleachgate, I've been trialling some (affordable) products - the damaged ends are beyond repair, but I'm keen not to damage my hair further, and to at least improve the appearance of my frizzy locks.

Mark Hill MiracOILicious 2 Minute Intensive Treatment

This rich intensive conditioning treatment is super thick and just feels ultra nourishing - it has the texture of a Body Shop body butter. The smell is also delicious, rich with some spices in the fragrance. Two minutes leaves my hair feeling mega soft and tangle-free, and it comes in a huge tub which will last ages if you're using it as a once or twice weekly treat. I LOVE it.

Cost? £7.99 for 200ml (but ALWAYS on offer  - currently £5.33 in Boots)
Repurchase? Already have.

John Frieda Frizz Ease Go Curlier Curl Activation Spray
This spray is sprayed onto damp hair, and is heat activated, designed to make curls curlier and last longer. I hoped the longer lasting curls might let me style my hair less often to prevent further heat damage, but honestly, I couldn't see much difference. A real shame.

Cost? £6.99 for 100ml (but again always on offer - currently £4.66 in Superdrug)
Repurchase? No

OGX Thick and Full Biotin & Collagen Oil Mist

This oil spray can be applied either to damp hair before styling to add a shot of moisture, make hair more manageable and give a volume boost, or applied to the ends of dry hair to smooth and control flyaways. I can't say I noticed any difference to the volume when I used on damp hair, but it did make my hair softer and more manageable. Applied to the ends of my dry and damaged hair, it did smooth and help to control, but the upshot was that my style didn't last so long - the curls fell out of my hair by mid-morning. Which is fine for a relaxed look for work or if you don't have much planned, but worth bearing in mind if you've got your heart set on big curls for a special occasion. Also, the tube attached to the spray is too long, curling up and meaning you need to remove and trim it to get to the bottom of the bottle.

Cost? £6.99 for 118ml (again, often on offer - currently £4.66 in Boots)
Repurchase? Probably not this one given that I didn't find it helped on the "thick and full" claim, but there are others in the OGX range which I'll certainly give a shot, especially the kukui oil one designed to hydrate and defrizz, and the coconut water one designed for weightless hydration.

Any recommendations for me to try next?

Ax

No comments:

Post a Comment